You may be surprised to learn that Paolo is a keen chef; when he is not working wonders with interiors, you’ll most likely find him in the kitchen cooking up a storm. This is one of his favourite recipes; Spaghetti alle Vongole / Spaghetti with clams.
You will need (serves 4)
- 320g Spaghetti
- 1kg Fresh clams in shells
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 Fresh red chilli
- 1 Glass of white wine
- Chopped parsley
- Boil the water with salt for the spaghetti.
- Rinse the clams in several changes of cold water & discard any that are open or damaged.
- In a big frying pan finely chop the garlic and add some extra-virgin olive oil, add the clams at medium heat and let them open.
- Cook spaghetti in slightly salted water according to pack instructions.
- Remove the clams from the heat and discard any unopened, drain the juice and keep the juice and clams in separate dishes. Take half of the clams out of their shells.
- In the same pan, gently fry some more garlic with sliced chilli, a glass of white wine. Add the clams both with and without shells back in and and add the juice.
- Let them cook together for about 4 / 5 minutes at a medium heat.
- Meanwhile, drain the spaghetti and immediately toss them into the pan with a couple of spoons of cooking water.
- Chop some parsley and sprinkle on top.
- Serve in bowls with bread for mopping up the juices.
Paolo’s Tip! I always prefer the small clams to the big ones, more tasty!
We would love to see your versions! Use #atpaolostable on Instagram and tag @paolomoschino or @nicholashaslamltd. Bon appetit!